Your Not Alone - Depression

23/02/2015

in

Last night I stumbled across this blog post 'How to be a better mom while being exhausted' and it basically sums up exactly how I feel most Mornings in life. I am not a morning person and never have been, so when wakening up several times to a screaming baby in the middle of the night and then up early to attend to an over active toddler it can be physically and mentally draining.

Just before Christmas I was diagnosed with post natal depression which makes rising early and trying to put on a happy face, while your toddler is tipping a full box of cheerios on the floor and your trying to get a crying baby a bottle, feel like your in the middle of world war 3. There were days where I would stay in my pj's all day and sit on the couch while the TV babysat Harry and I was always trying to make James sleep just so I could sit down and have a break. I knew this wasn't like me and knew their was more to it than just being exhausted. I finally decided things needed to change and confided in my health visitor and told her my concerns and how I was feeling. I was glad I talked to her and she advised I went and seen my GP who prescribed me with anti-depressants. Going to my GP felt like a huge weight was lifted from me and I knew I was a step closer to trying to get my life back to normal and enjoy those special moments with my boys and get my relationship back on track with my hubby. Having Depression is something you have to deal with on a daily basis. Some people get over it quicker than others and some never get over it. Depression feels like a silent illness as people don't think their could be anything wrong with you because you look ok and you probably put on a brave face for the short time that you are in their company. I feel like no one understands when you tell them you have depression which is why only my husband, mother and close friend know I have it and even then I feel they don't full understand. Reading Aprille's blog post has inspired me, even though I am exhausted, to be a better parent even tough some days I know it will be hard. By just making a few adjustments to my day like trying to take a shower first thing in the morning, getting dressed and even just taking the time to eat properly, will hopefully try and start my day off on the right foot.

If you think you may be suffering with post natal depression please get in touch with your GP or health visitor. It will feel like a complete weight off your shoulders that you have taken that first step in talking to someone about how your feeling and if you have depression and want someone to talk to I would love to hear from you as I know one of my biggest struggles is that I feel like I'm going through this alone and have no one to turn to who understands what I'm going through. So please don't hesitate to drop me a comment below or email me @ mumslittleloves@gmail.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment